The challenge is hosted by Megan at Semi-Charmed. Here are the rules:
The challenge will run from May 1st, 2015 to August 31st, 2015. No books that are started before 12AM on May 1st or after finished August 31st will be counted.
Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audiobooks and large print books are fine, as long as the regular print version meets the page requirement.
A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch a category for a book later on, that is fine, just make sure to account for it in your points.
Rereads can be used for a maximum of 3 books in the challenge. This rule is meant to encourage you to try new books while still allowing you to revisit books from your childhood or young adulthood that you might get more out of now. Please reread the entire book within the time frame of the challenge in order to count it; no simply finishing old books or partial rereads.
The highest possible total for the challenge is 200 points, and the first five people to finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge.
- 5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.
- 10 points: Read a book you have never heard of before. (Just go to a shelf and pick a book based on the cover, the title, whatever you want!)
- 10 points: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. (If you've had a Goodreads account for 2+ years, this will be easy to figure out. If you don’t, do your best to pick a book you’re pretty sure you’ve been wanting to read for years.)
- 10 points: Read a book that won a Goodreads "Best Book" Award in 2014.
- 15 points: Read a book by an author who is completely new to you.
- 15 points: Read a book by an author you have read before. (No re-reads for this one.)
- 15 points: Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. (Or "lightness" or "darkness.")
- 20 points: Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title.
- 20 points: Read a book with an animal on the cover.
- 25 points: Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books.
- 25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. — Submitted by winter finisher Kristen from See You in a Porridge.
- 30 points: Read a book with an alliterative title. (All words in the title must begin with the same letter; no exceptions for articles or prepositions. Examples: Gone Girl or Nicholas Nickleby. Yes, this is tough, which is why it's worth the most points!)
- Freebie! Not sure yet! I've got some books I need to finish, but that won't work for this challenge.
- Read a book you have never heard of before. - Random book from the library
- Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years. This will take forever to choose!
- Read a book that won a Goodreads "Best Book" Award in 2014. The Book of Life by Deborah Harkness
- Read a book by an author who is completely new to you. One of the Bones books by Kathy Reichs. I bought it a month ago off the clearance rack and need to read it!
- Read a book by an author you have read before. Disclosure by Michael Crichton
- Read a book with "light" or "dark" in the title. The Darkest Touch by Gena Showalter
- Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title. This will be a random library book search!
- Read a book with an animal on the cover. This will be a random library book search!
- Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books. One of the Dark series by Christine Feehan
- Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long. American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Read a book with an alliterative title. Red Rising by Pierce Brown
Now I just have to wait two days before starting the next book! Or finish one in two days. I could do either. Will you read along with me?